My sweet friend Ebony is introducing me to a whole new world. Veganism. Now, am I in any way, shape, or form a vegan? No. But, I’m always interested in good food. So thanks to Ebony, I’m learning about vegan eating in Cincinnati; expect a few more posts this summer highlighting more of those places. Today, I start with Happy Chicks Bakery in Northside. Ebony knows the way to my heart; she got me a gift card to Happy Chicks because I definitely love sweets. We were told to go early on a Saturday morning because Saturdays are donut days! Early is the key word here; people were already lining up outside before the doors opened (good sign)!
Happy Chicks is a local independent bakery (three of my favorite words right there). They do specialize in cakes (beautifully decorated, tons of interesting flavors), but offer up a strong pastry and lunch menu as well. Again, all vegan. Now this will shock my friends because I never get jazzed about a PB&J; however, I tried Ruby’s PB&J, made with blackberry jam and served on the homemade croissant, and was so impressed I ordered one to go. The croissants here are where it’s at. We’re talking buttery, flaky, slightly crispy, melt-in-your-mouth, never-made-these-at-home croissants. I also scored a bite (or two) of Ebony’s empanada and the Korean BBQ is excellent too!
I’d like to highlight my takeaways from Happy Chicks:
- Flavors constantly change; they experiment and try new ideas
- Produce is seasonal and purchased locally
- Purchasing from Ohio Valley Food Connection (a mobile Farmer’s Market); food is fresh and grown within 50 miles
- Jams come from Jaybird Farms, also an Ohio business and these jams are heavenly
- Select gluten-free options are always available for those who need GF
- Creative flavors like lavender lemon, orange rose, caramel chocolate stout, ginger chai, and mojito (to name a few)
- Sweet and savory options served each day
- Dairy free, egg free and artificial dye free baked goods that appeal to all types of eaters (I might not be vegan but I know delicious)
- Everything is made by hand
Basically, I love this vegan bakery! I keep talking about it to people and I’m eagerly anticipating my next visit.
Also, Happy Chicks keeps an array of cakes in shop so if you’re ever in a pinch, grab a cake at Happy Chicks . . . because . . . why would you grab a cake anywhere else? And Ebony, way to start this vegan tour with a bang! I love getting introduced to new places and new flavors. Anyone else have a favorite vegan restaurant?
Happy Chicks Hours: Tuesday-Friday 9am-6pm, Saturday 9am-4pm
GO THERE (Happy Chicks)! TRY THAT (arrive Saturday at 8:50 am and order all the pastries, especially the donuts)!